New and improved "m65dbg" tool
In short: the m65dbg tool has now integrated facilities provided by the m65 and mega65_ftp tools.
What are all these tools?
- m65dbg is a tool I wrote to enhance the remote-debugging experience for the mega65. It builds upon the serial monitor that the MEGA65 provides at the hardware-level.
If you are not already familiar with the idea of the m65dbg programme, the following video from a while back walks through its facilities, and how it compares to the serial monitor. But skip down if you would like to know what's new.
- The m65 tool is more of a swiss-army knife Paul has been working on, also making use of the serial monitor under the hood, with nice, unique facilities being added from time to time. My 2 favourite facilities within it are:
- take a 'screen-shot' of the screen (saved as either ascii or .png)
- 'remote keyboard' mechanism (letting you remotely type on your mega65 via your pc)
- mega65_ftp is a nice tool to upload/download files directly to/from the sd-card plugged into your mega65, again using the serial monitor under the hood.
Why integrate them?
While I was enjoying all of these facilities during my debugging forays, I was tiring of chopping and changing between them. I felt the debugging experience would be enhanced further if all these facilities could be found in one place.
Can I see a demonstration of the new m65dbg tool in action?
Yep sure, made a short video of the new facilities in the following video:
Ok, I'm sold! Where do I get my hands on this lovely tool?
Right now, it's solely available as source-code on github here:
Happy debugging to you!
Note from Paul: We hope to move all of these tools into the https://github.com/MEGA65/mega65-tools repository over coming weeks, so that there is a one-stop shop for when you want to get started with developing for the MEGA65.